Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Supreme Court History

 Supreme Court History

    I have always been highly fascinated by the history of our government. There is no doubt that it is important to understand the three branches of government as well as where laws come from, especially to be knowledgable of the laws that protect us and the freedoms we have living in the United States. The history of the Supreme Court was something I had little to no knowledge on. Reading the Supreme Court article and watching a documentary on the SCOTUS, left me with a deeper understanding of the importance that the Judiciary branch holds. 

The judiciary act was signed by our very first president George Washington in 1789. This was new information to me as I never knew what president introduced the law. In my opinion, the most important thing that I took away was all of the important and prominent cases that have had lasting impacts on our government.  With the 200 plus years history, just a few examples of the cases that have been acted towards are the Brown v. Board of Education that banned segregation in schools, Loving v. Virginia which abolished laws against interracial marriages, and Gideon v. Wainwright that provides defendants with legal representation free of charge if they cannot afford it. 

There were also many things that surprised me. Did you know the Supreme Court didn't hear any cases for the entire duration of its first term? There was also a Chief Justice that served in the position for more than 34 years! These were by far the most surprising to me out of all the information in the article. This article changed the way I thought of the Supreme Court in ways that helped me understand how far we have come. All of the changes that have occurred have shown me that the Supreme Court does deserve respect for the amount of recognition they give towards the people of the United States. The SCOTUS is very crucial part of our Government and moving forward, I plan to stay up to date with our current situations, as they will one day be the past we teach generations to come. 






No comments:

Post a Comment